Monday, January 26, 2015

25 manners every kid needs by age 9

(updated oct 14, 2014)
The list was originally posted in Parents magazine (March 2011) and I found it on this blog, via FB:

http://staceyaltamirano.com/2011/06/08/25-manners-every-kid-needs-by-age-9/

My step-son Cameron is 9, my daughter is 5...let's see how we are doing.

Oct 14, 2014
I feel a need to revisit this list with my kids after 3 meals either with guests at home or at other people's homes. I would like to add #26: wait until everyone has finished their first serving before asking for seconds! And #27: chew with your mouth closed, no one likes see-food!

I am going to work on the 2 ones I just added and #'s 23, 24, and 25 after seeing they were lacking this weekend. Otherwise, I think we are doing pretty well! :-)





1. Both almost always say please.
2. Both kids say thank you
3. Cameron doesn't usually interrupt, but Darcy does. She has 4 more years to figure this out!
4. Cameron sometimes says, "Excuse me." Maybe I don't hear him saying it because he doesn't interrupt often.
5. How many time have I said #5?!?!? So obviously if I'm saying it, the kids are not always asking first! Must work on this one!
6. I guess this one falls into, "If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all." However, as a parent, I am interested in what the kids like and dislike. Cameron has shown big improvements in this area in the past year...except perhaps where his sister is concerned!
7. We have always stressed this one and I think both kids are respectful of people's differences.
8. Working on this one.
9. We have taught the kids to do this, but I don't know if they do!




10. Knocking! Cameron does this. His privacy is important to him, so I think that makes him more respectful of others' privacy.
11. I must admit I don't know if Cameron makes any phone calls!.
12. YES! So important to be appreciative! I think the kids do this. We do not always send a hand written thank you, but I try to take pictures of the kids using the gifts they receive and send them to the people who gave the items.
13. I am so thankful our children do not say bad words! They hear them, and remind us if we say them, but they do not repeat them.
14. I think this does happen sometimes, kids make mistakes, but I don't think it's a habit.
15. HHmmmm, I am not too sure about this one...sometimes Cameron does this at school. We learn from our mistakes.
16. OH BOY! Not Cam's strong point.
17. For the most part, all is good on this point.
18. Cam does this.
19. Cameron is terrific at this! He always holds the door for me and Darcy. :-)
20. Both kids are wonderful about helping. :-D
21. There is sometimes some grumbling, but it's not the norm.
22. All good!
23. Still need a little work.
24. Need a little work. The napkin ends up all over the table, sometimes half in the plate, but at least they are using it!!
25. All good for the most part.

I think both kids are well on their way to good manners! Phew! I know today a lot of people think manners are no longer important, but they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment