Wednesday, January 28, 2015

DIY Frozen Birthday Party

I looked all over town for Frozen themed decorations or at least winter/ice/snow themed things, but found nothing. I found lots of neat printable things in Pinterest, but without a laptop, couldn't print them out. So...I made the decorations!

For the banners I used scrapbook paper and construction paper (that I already had) to cut out the triangles. I already had the pretty silver letters and string, too. I went into the basement and dug out whatever winter/blue decorations I could find easily. (Our basement has 5' ceilings and is more what I would call a root cellar than a basement, plus we have not finished re-wiring the lighting, so I don't enjoy spending much time down there!)
 

My sock snowmen, which I made last year, were perfect! 
 

For the water bottles I just wrote on white labels and put them on over the eater bottle labels. I looked up pictures of Olaf on the internet and drew him with the words "melted snow". I was going to write "melted Olaf" and have a little sign saying, "Some people are worth melting for," near the bottles, but I thought it might upset the children to think of Olaf melting!


Plain blue tablecloth from Dollarama. I also used 2 packages of blue napkins with white polka dots, which Darcy looked like "snow and ice." All for $1 each!

Sven's Snacks (reindeer snacks): cheese and crackers

Olaf's arms (snowman arms): pretzel sticks

Anna's frozen heart: strawberries dipped in white chocolate
I used whole strawberries. I melted white chocolate chipits in a double boiler (I actually used a metal mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water). I added some vegetable oil to make the chocolate smoother and more "dippable". Refridgerated overnight to harden chocolate.

Kristoff's Ice: Jello cubes

Olaf's Noses (snowman noses): baby carrots

Kevin and I made the rock candy...it took an hour!
I did it without a candy thermometer, using the cold water test, but it would have been so much easier and less messy with one.
A word to the wise if you make it, especially for children, you will have sticky hand prints all over everything!
 


Snow Paint:
 
It was easy and fun to make and use.  If you decide to do this, make sure you use a big enough container to allow room for the shaving cream to expand. 

I also made glitter slime, but I didn't have the exact quantities, so I had to wing it a bit. It still turned out pretty cool, but it took a while for the "slime" to form and it wasn't set until after the guests left.



Luckily for me, our local DQ closes for the winter the last day of September, which means big sales on ice cream cakes! I got this one, already decorated white and blue for half price. i just added the writing.

Budget
Decorations:
Paper, string, letters - already had them
White streamers - -1$
Napkins - 1$
Cups (blue) - 1$
Paper plates (match napkins) - 2$
Table cloth - 1$
Balloons - 3$
Labels - already had them
TOTAL: ~$10 with taxes

Food
Carrots: $2.99
Sour cream: $2.78
Dip mix: $1.49
Water bottles: $3.00
Jello: $1.98
Chips: $5.00
Crispy minis: $1
Crackers: $2.00
Shark candies: $2.00
juice: $0.69 x 2
Sprite: $1.67
Gelatin: $3.29
Sugar (had)
Icing (for writing on cake): $2.16
Cheese: $3.96
DQ ice cream cake (half price): $13.00
TOTAL: ~$48.00

Crafts:
Glue: $2.97
Shaving cream: $1.77
Peppermint extract: $3.19
Glitter (had)
Borax (had)
Construction paper (had)
TOTAL: ~$10.00

The loot bags came to about $20 for 10 bags. 

So...the whole party was less than $100!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment