Monday, January 26, 2015

Dill pickles


I love dill pickles and have passed this on to Cam and Darcy, so we go through a lot of pickles. I always loved homemade dills best of all, so I decided to make my own this fall. I couldn't get nice, small cucumbers, so i had to quarter the cucumbers. 

I made 2 batches. Darcy helped by peeling the garlic and helping fill the jars (before the hot brine) and overall it was very enjoyable.

The 8 week wait was endless and ultimately impossible...after a month we opened a jar and tried one! Oh so crunchy and...garlicky. Perhaps I put too much or perhaps we should wait the 8 weeks! 

Yes, the ones we opened later had a more balanced dill-garlic flavour, but also started to develop a white sediment in the bottom of the jar after being opened a few days. I looked it up, and it could be a reaction between the brine and the metal of the pot OR yeast formed on the garlic. The former is harmless, the latter could make you sick. Hmmmph...

I have 2 jars left, unopened. The last jar I opened, the pickles were soft, so I threw out the whole jar. The others either got used or the contents were tossed once the white sediment formed, just in case. I will do it again this fall, with a bit more research and any useful advice you may have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment