Monday, January 26, 2015

July 31, 2014


 




Tigger cuddling with Darcy's toy cat.


Beautiful rainbow at the end of the day.



In an attempt to tidy up yard and set up a place for a fire, we decided to launch my pedal boat. It waaa leaning against a tree, full of water, so I decided to empty it while waiting for Kevin to make room on the dock. Suddenly I felt hot, painful stabs on my back. I dropped the boat and registered "wasps" in my mind. As my feet carried me along the wharf, running past Kevin, I yelled," Stay there! Wasps! Don't go over there! Wasps..."  SPLOOSH! Fully clothed, shoes and all, but boy did the cold water feel good.

I got 3 stings on my back and arm and one on my forehead.

When I lifted the boat, I in advertently ripped the top off of a nest which had been built between the boat and the tree it was leaning on.

Once the swarm settled back into their nest, Peter and Kevin went on a mission. Peter bravely sprayed the hive, repeatedly, until the can was empty. Then they putnthe boat in the lake and went back to the dying wasps. Just to be sure they set the nest on fire!!! Scorched my poor tree and the grass, but definitely wiped put the wasps. 

I must explain that I would not normally condone such destruction of nature. However, given the location of the hive, the fact that we do not know if the kids are allergic or not, add that a mayor of nearby city DIED from multiple wasp stings a few days earlier...and well, they just had to go.

What you see in the picture above is all that is left!


My nighttime visitor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment