Monday, January 11, 2016

Jean pocket wall organizer

Y
I made this jean pocket wall organizer for my Goddaughter. I hope it will help her organize her craft and sewing supplies in a way that is easy to use and keeps her supplies within reach.

I made myself a square template and if the pockets weren't big enough I sewed some denim on the short sides. There were two that were too small on all sides, so I appliqued them onto a square the right size. 

The next step was to sew the squares together. I made three rows of three squares, then sewed the rows together. 

I used a soft, pale blue fleece for the back. I wanted something soft so it wouldn't scratch the wall and something without a lot of color so there wouldn't be any color transfer to the wall. I sewed on the two rod pockets before attaching the backing to the denim. The back was sewed on with front and back pieces right-side to right-side, leaving a small opening to turn it right side out. I used a ladder stitch to close the gap.

When I put the rod in and held it up, the denim sagged in the front...OH NO!!!!

Solution? I sewed (think quilting, but without the batting) along all the seems of the denim squares and all around the outside, about 1 inch in from the edge. This prevented any slipping and sagging of the pockets. 

The total finished aize is about 24"x 24".


No comments:

Post a Comment