Saturday, September 24, 2016

Dr Who rag quilt

A long time ago (3 years +...) I cut out many purple, mauve and white squares to make a quilt for my Goddaughter, whose favorite color was purple. Since then her favorite color has changed to blue and she is quite taken with the new Dr. Who show. Dr. Who's tardis (time-travelling phone booth) is blue, so...


Here's my plan for one side of the quilt.


Since I already had many purple and mauve squares, I used them on the other side.

During March break I started sandwiching Side A + batting + coresponding Side B square and piling them up in rows. 15 rows in all. Then I started quilting an X into each square and again piling them up to be sewn together into rows. I knew I had to really get ahead as once I was at the lake for the summer I would not have the sewing machine and Amelia's birthday is mid-summer. Well, I got about 4 rows done before the mad end-of-the-school-year rush.


Then we went to the lake for the June long weekend and just stayed. Charla happened to mention that Amelia's party had been moved up one week. Say what? OMG! so I spent a few long days and nights out at the house with Darcy as my helper, sewing rows and then sewing rows together. Once it was all put together, I brought it to the lake to do the ragging. Did I mention I did this the night before the party? I was praying I wouldn't snip a stitch by accident! I had one little snip to hand sew the next morning, as at 3:00 a.m. when I finished, I didn't trust myself to sew properly.

Here it is:

The purple side has a big A and F for her initials. And the other quarters are like mini patchwork quilts. I specially designed the middle square to mimic the gray cross on the quilt. That one square has 9 pieces. 

The tardis!!

It is big enough for a bed spread for a double bed. I didn't plan on making such a big quilt, but I had to have enough rows and columns to make the tardis. The tardis had to have rectangular windows and had to have two columns of 4. I tried designing it with square windows and it really didn't look right. 




No comments:

Post a Comment